The Jesse Brown VA Medical Center consists of a 200-bed acute care facility and four community based outpatient clinics (CBOCs). Jesse Brown VAMC provides care to approximately 58,000 enrolled veterans who reside in the City of Chicago and Cook County, Illinois, and in four counties in northwestern Indiana. In FY10, the medical center had over 8100 inpatient admissions and 560,000 outpatient visits. A budget of over $355 million supports approximately 2,000 full-time equivalent staff, including 200+ physicians and 450 nurses, with 500+ volunteers providing service and care at Jesse Brown VAMC and CBOCs.
In May 2008, the medical center opened its new inpatient bed tower pavilion, which includes seven surgical suites, cystology, intensive care, inpatient dialysis, an outpatient surgical center and a chapel. The medical center’s strategic priority is the “heart of the Veterans Community” and as Provider of Choice for veterans in the Chicago area. JBVAMC established a “We Are Here” outreach campaign to inform veterans about the health care benefits they have earned through their service to our country and the specific services available to them at Jesse Brown VA Medical Center.
Formerly known as the West Side VA Medical Center, the facility was renamed in 2004 for the Honorable Jesse Brown, who served as Secretary for Veterans Affairs from 1993 to 1997.
Affiliations: Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University and University of Illinois at Chicago Medical School, with over 900 program residents caring for our veterans yearly.
Community-Based Outpatient Clinics
In addition to our main facility in Chicago, we offer services in four community-based outpatient clinics. These clinics are located in —
Honor America's veterans by providing exceptional health care that improves their health and well being.
To be a patient-centered, integrated health care organization for veterans providing excellent health care, research and education; an organization where people choose to work; an active community partner and a back up for National emergencies
Key Business Drivers
Our key business drivers are quality, financial integrity, patient satisfaction, and employee satisfaction.
VA embraces five "Core Values" for all of our employees. These five core values (I.C.A.R.E.) are:
- Integrity: Act with high moral principle. Adhere to the highest professional standards. Maintain the trust and confidence of all with whom I engage.
- Commitment: Work diligently to serve Veterans and other beneficiaries. Be driven by an earnest belief in VA’s mission. Fulfill my individual responsibilities and organizational responsibilities.
- Advocacy: Be truly Veteran-centric by identifying, fully considering, and appropriately advancing the interests of Veterans and other beneficiaries.
- Respect: Treat all those I serve and with whom I work with dignity and respect. Show respect to earn it.
- Excellence: Strive for the highest quality and continuous improvement. Be thoughtful and decisive in leadership, accountable for my actions, willing to admit mistakes, and rigorous in correcting them.